The annual Housing Opportunity Conference is one of the premier national meetings of the housing development (affordable and market rate), lending, investing, and policy community, drawing a diverse mix of private and nonprofit real estate developers, public officials, urban and regional planners, housing advocates, architects, investors, and lenders with one common goal—to expand opportunities for a full range of residential development in their communities. Participants left better prepared to address local housing challenges, having learned from cutting-edge research and emerging best practices in the housing industry; engaged with industry leaders; and toured innovative buildings and developments that showcase the best in residential development.
In conjunction with ULI Southeast Florida, the ULI Terwilliger Center for Housing hosted the Housing Opportunity Conference February 24–26 in Miami, Florida. The first two days of the conference offered panels and networking receptions. Panel topics this year included the following:
- The State of U.S. Housing Markets
- Senior Development Executives Discuss Regional and National Development Opportunities
- Housing Market in Transition: Adapting to Demographic Shifts and Unaffordability
- Living with Water
- New Research and Tools for Equitable Housing Development
- Investment in Housing: Outlook and Opportunity
- Getting the Formula Right for Mixed-Income Communities
- The Challenge and Opportunities in Attainable Housing: Nonsubsidized For-Sale Housing for America’s Middle Class
- Everyone Means Every One: Home Design Solutions for Individuals on the Autism Spectrum or Transitioning from Homelessness
- Housing of the Future
- Policy-Making Progress: Southeast Florida Counties Share Successes
- Building for Families and Seniors
The last day of the conference offered attendees three tours to choose from: Housing Product Innovations; Miami’s Transit Corridor; and Rethinking Public/Private Partnerships. The conference drew about 300 people from across the United States, two-thirds of whom were ULI members. Housing Opportunity 2021 will be held virtually 16–17, 2021. Information will be posted on their website.